Understanding drivers of vulnerability & resilience under climate and ocean change
- 2011 NCCARF funded senior research fellow with ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies, JCU, Townsville. Research area: Adaptive strategies to climate change in coastal ecosystems.
- 2008 - 2010 Smart State and Senior Research Fellow with ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies, JCU, Townsville. Research area: Genomic adaptation to climate change in corals.
- 2006 - 2007 Postdoctoral Research Fellow with ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies, JCU, Townsville. Research area: Adaptation to climate change in corals.
- 2006 Associate Lecturer in Population and Conservation Genetics, School of Marine and Tropical Biology, JCU, Townsville.
- 2006 PhD in Population Genetics, JCU, Townsville.
- 2000 BSc (Hons 1A) in Marine Biology, JCU, Townsville.
- 2013 Organiser of workshop on adaptive strategies to climate change in coastal ecosystems
- 2012 - Associate Editor BMC Evolutionary Biology
- 2012 Co-chair of mini-symposium and editor of proceedings, ICRS, Cairns
- 2011 Theo Murphy Think Tank: Australian Academy of Science.
- 2011 - Adjunct research fellow: ARC Center of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies, JCU, Townsville.
- 2010-2011 Expert committee for adaptive strategies to climate change in coastal ecosystems: NCCARF
Bay LK, Guerecheau, Andreakis N Ulstrup KE and Matz MV (In Press) Gene Expression Signatures of Energetic Acclimatisation in the Reef Building Coral Acropora millepora. PLOS ONE
Howells EJ, Berkelmans R van Oppen MJH, Willis BL and Bay LK (In Press). Historical thermal regimes define limits to coral acclimatization. Ecology
Howells EJ, Beltran VH, Larsen, NW, Bay LK, Willis BL, van Oppen MJH (2012). Coral thermal tolerance shaped by local adaptation of photosymbionts. Nature Climate Change: DOI: 10.1038/NCLIMATE1330
Levy O, Kaniewska P, Alon S, Eisenberg E, Karako-Lampert S, Bay LK, Reef R, Rodriguez-Lanetty M Miller DJ and Hoegh-Guldberg O (2011). Complex diel cycles of gene expression in coral-algal symbiosis. Science 331: 175
Lawton RJ, Messmer, V, Pratchett, MS, and Bay, LK (2011) High gene flow across large geographic scales reduces extinction risk for a highly specialized coral feeding butterflyfish. Molecular Ecology. 20: 3584-3598
Bay LK, Cumbo VR, Abrego, D, Kool, J, Willis BL (2011). Role of cell-surface recognition in host selection of symbionts during establishment of coral-algal endosymbiosis. Diversity 3: 356-374
Graham NAJ, Ainsworth TD, Baird, AH, Ban NC, Bay LK, and 13 others (2011). From microbes to people: tractable benefits of No Take Areas for coral reefs. Oceanography and Marine Biology: An Annual Review 49: 117-148
Souter P, Bay LK, Andreakis N, Császár N van Oppen, MJH (2011) A multi-gene, temperature stress related gene expression profile assay for Acropora millepora, a dominant reef-building coral. Molecular Ecology Resources 11: 328-334.
Souter P, Willis BW, Bay LK, Caley MJ, Muirhead A, van Oppen MJH (2010) Geographic location and bleaching affect population genetic structure in four species of coral in the Acropora aspera group on the Great Barrier Reef. Marine Ecology Progress Series 416: 35-45
Bay LK, Ulstrup, KE, Nielsen HB, Jarmer H, Goffard N, Willis BL, Miller DJ, van Oppen MJH (2009a) Microarray analysis reveals transcriptional plasticity in the reef building coral Acropora millepora. Molecular Ecology 18: 3062-3075
Bay LK, Nielsen HB, Jarmer H, Seneca F and van Oppen MJH (2009) Transcriptomic variation in a coral reveals pathways of clonal organization. Marine Genomics 2:119-125
Bay LK, Caley MJ, Crozier RH (2008) Metapopulation structure in a coral reef fish demonstrated by genetic data on patterns of migration, extinction and re-colonisation. BMC Evolutionary Biology 8:248