Reef futures: Adaptation and Resilience of Coral Reefs
- 2011 NCCARF funded senior research fellow with ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies, JCU, Townsville. Research area: Adaptive strategies to climate change in coastal ecosystems.
- 2008-2010 Smart State and Senior Research Fellow with ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies, JCU, Townsville. Research area: Genomic adaptation to climate change in corals.
- 2006-2007 Postdoctoral Research Fellow with ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies, JCU, Townsville. Research area: Adaptation to climate change in corals.
- 2006 Associate Lecturer in Population and Conservation Genetics, School of Marine and Tropical Biology, JCU, Townsville.
- 2006 PhD in Population Genetics, JCU, Townsville.
- 2000 BSc (Hons 1A) in Marine Biology, JCU, Townsville.
- 2016 - Chair of Science Advisory Panel for Reef Habitat Restoration
- 2012 - Editor Coral Reefs, Associate Editor BMC Evolutionary Biology
- 2012, 2016 Co-chair of mini-symposium and editor of proceedings, ICRS, Cairns
- 2011 - Adjunct research fellow: ARC Center of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies, JCU, Townsville.
- 2010-2011 Expert committee for adaptive strategies to climate change in coastal ecosystems: NCCARF
Bay LK, Doyle J, Logan M, Berkelmans R (2016) Recovery from bleaching is mediated by threshold densities of background thermo-tolerant symbiont types in a reef-building coral. Royal Society Open Science 3: 160322
Dixon G, Bay LK, Matz MV (2016) Evolutionary consequences of DNA methylation in a basal Metazoan Genic DNA methylation causes codon bias in stony corals. Molecular Biology and Evolution
Dixon GB, Davies SW, Aglyamova GA, Meyer E, Bay LK and Matz MV (2015) Genomic determinants of coral heat tolerance across latitudes. Science 348(6242): 1460-1462
Bay LK, Guérécheau A, Andreakis N Ulstrup KE, Matz MV (2013) Gene expression signatures of energetic acclimatisation in the reef building coral Acropora millepora. PLoS ONE 8(5): e61736
Howells EJ, Berkelmans R, van Oppen MJH, Willis BL, Bay LK (2013) Historical thermal regimes define limits to coral acclimatization. Ecology 94(5): 1078-1088
Howells EJ, Beltran VH, Larsen NW, Bay LK, Willis BL, van Oppen MJH (2012) Coral thermal tolerance shaped by local adaptation of photosymbionts. Nature Climate Change 2: 116- 120
Levy O, Kaniewska P, Alon S, Eisenberg E, Karako-Lampert S, Bay LK, Reef R, Rodriguez-Lanetty M Miller DJ, Hoegh-Guldberg O (2011) Complex diel cycles of gene expression in coral-algal symbiosis. Science 331: 175
Graham NAJ, Ainsworth TD, Baird AH, Ban NC, Bay LK, and 13 others (2011) From microbes to people: tractable benefits of No Take Areas for coral reefs. Oceanography and Marine Biology: An Annual Review 49: 117-148
Bay LK, Ulstrup, KE, Nielsen HB, Jarmer H, Goffard N, Willis BL, Miller DJ, van Oppen MJH (2009a) Microarray analysis reveals transcriptional plasticity in the reef building coral Acropora millepora. Molecular Ecology 18: 3062-3075
Bay LK, Nielsen HB, Jarmer H, Seneca F, van Oppen MJH (2009) Transcriptomic variation in a coral reveals pathways of clonal organization. Marine Genomics 2:119-125
Bay LK, Caley MJ, Crozier RH (2008) Metapopulation structure in a coral reef fish demonstrated by genetic data on patterns of migration, extinction and re-colonisation. BMC Evolutionary Biology 8:248