- 1994 BSc Colorado State University
- 1995 Post Graduate Diploma University of Queensland
- 1999 PhD University of Queensland
- 2011 Graduate Certificate in Tertiary Teaching
- long-term monitoring of inshore predators within a dynamic coastal system
- movement of coral reef predators in relation to environmental conditions
- connectivity of reef habitats for mobile predator species
- analysis of marine park zoning in the context of predator movement
- Member Threatened Species Scientific Committee
- Scientific Advisory Committee Member for the Australian Animal Tracking and Monitoring System
- Scientific Advisory Committee Member for the Ocean Tracking Network
- Subject Editor for Marine and Coastal Fisheries
- Review Editor for Aquatic Biology
- Associate Editor for Animal Biotelemetry
Selected recent publications
Heupel MR, Simpfendorfer CA, Olsen EM, Moland E (2012) Consistent movement traits indicative of innate behavior in neonate sharks. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 432-433: 131-137
Yates PM, Heupel MR, Tobin AJ, Simpfendorfer CA (2012) Diversity in shark nursery habitats provides the potential for portfolio effects. Marine Ecology Progress Series 458: 269-281
Knip DM, Heupel MR, Simpfendorfer CA (2012) Evaluating marine protected areas for the conservation of tropical coastal sharks. Biological Conservation 148: 200-209.
Simpfendorfer CA, Olsen EM, Heupel MR, Moland E (2012) Three dimensional kernel utilization improve estimates of space use in aquatic animals. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Science 69: 565-572.
Knip DM, Heupel MR, Simpfendorfer CA, Tobin AJ, Moloney J (2011) Ontogenetic shifts in movement and habitat use of juvenile pigeye sharks Carcharhinus amboinensis in a tropical nearshore region. Marine Ecology Progress Series 425:233-246.
Simpfendorfer CA, Yeiser BG, Wiley TR, Poulakis GR, Stevens PW, Heupel MR (2011) Environmental influences on the spatial ecology of juvenile smalltooth sawish (Pristis pectinata): results from acoustic monitoring. PLoS One 6: e16918.
Carlson JK, Ribera M, Conrath C, Heupel MR (2010) Coastal habitat use and movement patterns of bull sharks determined using pop-up satellite archival tags. Journal of Fish Biology 77:661-675.
Heupel MR, Simpfendorfer CA (2010) Science or slaughter: is lethal sampling of sharks reasonable in the 21st Century? Conservation Biology 24:1212-1218.
Cortés E, et al. (2010) Ecological risk assessment of pelagic sharks caught in Atlantic pelagic longline fisheries. Aquatic Living Resources 23: 25-34.
Heupel MR, Williams AJ, Welch DJ, Davies CR, Adams S, Carlos G and Mapstone BD (2010) Age-based estimates of life-history parameters for the blue-spot coral trout, Plectropomus laevis. Marine and Freshwater Research 61: 184-195.
Knip DM, Heupel MR and Simpfendorfer CA (2010) Sharks in nearshore environments: theories, perceptions, definitions, and consequences. Marine Ecology Progress Series 402: 1-11 Journal Feature Article.
McCook LJ, et al.(2010) Adaptive management and monitoring of the Great Barrier Reef marine reserve network: a globally significant case study in marine conservation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences doi/10.1073/pnas.0909335107