At AIMS, I am continuing research in these areas by contributing to the water quality aspects of the Marine Monitoring Program.
2009: PhD in Marine Biogeochemistry, Aberdeen University UK
2006: MSc in Biology, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
2003: BSc in Biology at the University of Copenhagen, Denmark
- Biogeochemistry of organic matter and nutrients in aquatic systems
- Ocean carbon cycling
- Using in-situ sensors for measuring biogeochemical variables
- Optical oceanography
- Land-sea coupling of carbon and nutrient cycles
- Bacterial and viral ecology
- Review Editor for Frontiers in Marine Biogeochemistry.
- Scientific reviewer for the following funding agencies: NSF: Chemical Oceanography, Norwegian Science Council
- Guest editor: Special issue: Problems of Small Estuaries, Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, 2014.
- Estuarine & Coastal Sciences Association.
- American Society of Limnology and Oceanography.
Lønborg C, Cuevas A, Reinthaler T, Herndl G, Gasol, JM, Morán XAG, Bates, N, Álvarez-Salgado XA (2016) Depth dependent relationships between temperature and ocean heterotrophic prokaryotic production. Frontiers in Aquatic Microbiology 3:90 doi: 10.3389/fmars.2016.00090
Lønborg C, Nieto M, Hernando-Morales V, Hernández-Ruiz M, Teira E, Álvarez-Salgado XA (2016) Photochemical alteration of dissolved organic matter and the subsequent effects on bacterial carbon cycling and diversity. FEMS Microbial Ecology 96:1-14
Burd AB, Frey S, Cabre A, Ito T, Levine NM, Lønborg C, Long M, Mauritz M, Thomas RQ, Stevens B, Vanwalleghem T, Zeng N (2016) Terrestrial and marine perspectives on modeling organic matter degradation pathways and controls. Global Change Biology 22:121-136
McKinnon AD, Doyle J, Duggan S, Logan M, Lønborg C, Brinkman R (2015) Zooplankton Growth, Respiration and Grazing on the Australian Margins of the Tropical Indian and Pacific Oceans PLoS ONE 10:30140012 doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0140012
Lønborg C, Yokokawa T, Herndl G, Álvarez-Salgado XA (2015) Production and degradation of fluorescent dissolved organic matter in the eastern North Atlantic Ocean. Deep Sea Research part I 96:27-35
Uthicke S, Furnas M, Lønborg C (2014) Coral reefs on the edge? Carbon Chemistry on inshore GBR Reefs. PLoS ONE 9:e0109092 doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0109092
Callaway R, Grenfell S, Lønborg C (2014) Small estuaries: ecology, environmental drivers and management challenges. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 150:193-195.
Lønborg C, Álvarez-Salgado XA (2014) Tracing dissolved organic matter cycling in the temperate eastern North Atlantic Ocean by absorption and fluorescence spectroscopy. Deep Sea Research part I 85:35-46.